Ford F-150 Pro Trailer Backup Assist™ Technology
Backing up a trailer can be a tricky operation. After all, you are backing up two vehicles at the same time, and more often than not, they are both moving in opposite directions. Fortunately, the new Ford F-150 is available with Pro Trailer Backup Assist™, which makes backing up a trailer easier and safer. Learn all about how the Ford F-150 Pro Trailer Backup Assist™ Technology can enhance your White City-area towing experience in this guide from Capital Ford Lincoln.
How Does Pro Trailer Backup Assist™ Work?
If you’ve tried backing up with a travel trailer or boat in tow, you’ve learned that you have to turn the steering wheel in the opposite direction of where the trailer is going. This can be stressful and inconvenient, to say the least. With the Ford F-150 Pro Trailer Backup Assist™, all you have to do is turn a knob left or right and the trailer will go in that direction. How does Pro Trailer Backup Assist™ work? Using the measurements that you input into the system, Pro Trailer Backup Assist™ uses a camera to track the trailer position as you are backing up. You then rotate the knob in the direction that you want the trailer to go, and the system controls the steering wheel accordingly.
How to Set Up the Ford F-150 Pro Trailer Backup Assist™
In order to take advantage of the Ford F-150 Pro Trailer Backup Assist™ Technology on your next Weyburn-area towing expedition, you will need to set up the system. Make sure that you have your start setup guide with measurement card, the checkered sticker accompanying your setup guide, a tape measure, a pen or pencil, and someone to assist you. Then follow these steps:
Connect your vehicle to your trailer
– Making sure to do so on a level surface
Move your vehicle forward
– In order to pull your trailer in line with your vehicle
Press the centre of the Pro Trailer Backup Assist button
– Which is located to the right of the steering wheel
Enter the name of your trailer on the screen
In order to save the profile for that trailer. Use the up and down and left and right arrows to spell out a name, then press “OK”
Choose the type of brake system on your trailer
– And select the braking effort level. Low is recommended for most trailers, but if you have a large trailer choose medium or high. You will then be asked to confirm that your trailer is conventional since Pro Trailer Backup Assist™ is not set up for Fifth Wheel or Gooseneck trailers.
Shift your vehicle into park
With the trailer in line with your vehicle
Place your checkered sticker on your trailer tongue
- 15 to 55 centimetres from the centre of the trailer hitch ball
- Use the tape measureto record
- The horizontal distance from the license plate to the centre of the hitch ball
- The horizontal distance from the centre of the hitch ball to the centre of the sticker
- The diagonal distance from the centre of the rear-view camera to the centre of the sticker
- The horizontal distance from the tailgate to the centre of the trailer axle for single-axle trailers, or the horizontal distance from the tailgate to the centre point between both axles for dual-axle trailers
Input the measurements
– Using the up and down arrows on the five-way switch on the left side of your steering wheel and press “OK” when you have finished
The system will automatically search for the sticker target and ask you to confirm that it has found the sticker
– Select yes if the sticker is circled on the display screen. If not, select no, and double-check your measurements and placement.
Drive the vehicle forward between at low speed to complete the calibration
– A message will tell you when calibration is completed
Learn More About Pro Trailer Backup Assist™ at Capital Ford Lincoln
The knowledgeable sales team at Capital Ford Lincoln is happy to provide you with all of the details regarding the available Ford F-150 Pro Trailer Backup Assist™ System, as well as fill you in on the F-150 specs, trims, and colour options. If you’d like to get the best Ford truck deal possible in the Moose Jaw, make sure to check out our F-150 offers and incentives. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us with any questions.