What is the Ford EcoBoost Engine?
If you’ve been in the market for a vehicle in the last ten years, you may have heard the term “EcoBoost” before. You may have heard it in commercials on TV, ads on the internet, or in print. So, what is EcoBoost? The experts at Capital Ford Lincoln are here to explain everything that Moose Jaw-area drivers need to know about this exclusive engine technology available on Ford and Lincoln vehicles.
What is EcoBoost? EcoBoost Defined:
A Ford EcoBoost engine offers a combination of turbocharging and direct fuel injection that improves your fuel economy without sacrificing engine power on the roads in and around Weyburn. Who wouldn’t want that? And the name, “EcoBoost”, combining “Eco” (fuel economy) plus “Boost” (power), describes exactly what this engine has to offer. The current Ford EcoBoost lineup includes 3-cylinder, 4-cylinder, and V6 engines that range from 1.0 litres to 3.5 litres, and are available on a wide variety of Ford cars, trucks, and SUVs.
How It All Began
In 2009, Ford released a new line of engines in order to compete with those offered by other brands, such as the Honda “VTEC” engine. In doing so, Ford changed the world of vehicle engines forever!
Racers and automotive enthusiasts have always loved turbocharged engines, but it wasn’t until they started becoming mainstream that Estevan-area drivers would dream of having any kind of turbocharged engine in their truck or car. A turbocharger forces more air into the engine, which increases power. Combining a turbocharger with direct injection, allows the Ford EcoBoost to deliver robust power and torque, all while lowering fuel consumption. This blending of power and efficiency was an instant success and EcoBoost engines continue to be sought after by a wide range of drivers.
How Does Ford EcoBoost Work?
Ford EcoBoost engines are turbocharged, and that means you get more raw power. With the ability to force in more air than a normal engine, the Ford EcoBoost turbocharger makes the engine considerably more powerful. While many drivers naturally assume that you need a larger engine to get more power, a smaller turbocharged engine proves that you can have all the get-up-and-go you need without compromising fuel economy.
Direct Fuel Injection
The direct fuel injection of Ford EcoBoost is less complicated and more efficient than the typical fuel injection system offered on other vehicles. By eliminating the intake tract used in conventional fuel injected engines, the Ford EcoBoost sends fuel directly into the combustion chamber, which reduces the amount of fuel wasted. In fact, EcoBoost engines are commonly 30% more efficient than larger naturally aspirated engines. Along with improved fuel economy, direct fuel injection helps to provide more responsive performance and a higher output.
The Ford EcoBoost Engine Lineup
- 1.oL EcoBoost 3-Cylinder Engine: Offered on the Ford EcoSport, this engine can produce up at 123 hp with 148 lb-ft of torque.
- 1.5L EcoBoost 4-Cylinder Engine: Available on the Ford Escape and Ford Fusion, this variant can generate up to 197 hp with 215 lb ft of torque.
- 2.0L EcoBoost 4-Cylinder Engine: This engine can be found on the Ford Fusion, Ford EcoSport, Ford Escape, and Ford Edge. Depending on the configuration, the 2.0L can deliver an output of 252 hp with 270 lb-ft of torque.
- 2.3L EcoBoost 4-Cylinder Engine: Capable of up to 310 hp with 350 lb-ft of torque, this strong engine is offered on the Ford Mustang, Ford Ranger, and Ford Explorer.
- 2.7L EcoBoost V6 Engine: This twin-turbocharged engine can make as much as 335 hp and 400 lb-ft of torque, and is offered on the Ford F-150 and Ford Edge ST.
- 3.0L EcoBoost V6 Engine: Available on the Ford Explorer, Lincoln MKZ, Lincoln Continental, and Lincoln Aviator. Depending on the application, you can get up to 400 hp with 400 lb-ft of torque.
- 3.5L EcoBoost V6 Engine: This most powerful engine in the EcoBoost lineup is offered on the Ford F-150, Ford Expedition, Ford Raptor, and Lincoln Navigator. The twin-turbo 3.5L can provide up to 450 hp with 510 lb-ft of torque.
Test Drive the EcoBoost Engine Today at Capital Ford Lincoln!
Now that we’ve answered the question, “What is EcoBoost?”, it’s time for you to get behind the wheel of an exciting new Ford powered by this innovative and efficient engine. Schedule a test drive with us and experience all that the Ford EcoBoost engine has to offer today. Make sure to check out our new vehicle specials to take advantage of our current budget-friendly offers. If you have any questions or would like more information about this revolutionary engine, please don’t hesitate to contact us.